Are you remodeling your bathroom? Have you taken inspiration from the internet but are unsure how you will execute it in your current interior? This is a mistake people make most often, especially regarding bathroom enclosures. When choosing a shower door, the two most popular options that you will get are frameless and framed. Even though both closely resemble their properties and are safe and reliable, each has a few drawbacks, and choosing one depends on your interior and installment capabilities.
To help you make an informed decision, we have listed out the pros and cons of each for ultimate shower doors frameless vs. framed showdown. Without further ado, let’s get started!
Before we delve deep into the pros and cons, let’s discuss the main differentiation factor between the two shower enclosures.
Framed shower doors have an aluminum or steel frame to support the glass sheets. The frames can be customized and are available in different colors, materials, and textures. In contrast, frameless shower doors consist of solid tempered glass panels that require no support and can operate independently.
● Wider motion range – frameless shower doors offer a wider range of motion than framed shower enclosures. The pivot door hinges enable the frameless shower doors to swing inward and outward.
● Aesthetic appeal – frameless shower doors are highly praised by decorators and interior designers due to their aesthetic appeal. It creates visual continuity between the shower area and the bathroom and dramatically highlights the tiles and colors of your bathroom. It also makes the space look cleaner and larger.
● Easy to maintain – these shower enclosures are also easier to maintain since they have lesser components and less dust and grime can accumulate on them. Moreover, you can easily find replacement parts from different vendors for its few components.
● A frameless shower door can only be installed on certain tile materials. Thus, before choosing such a shower enclosure, call a professional to see if you have the right setup, or you will end up spending more than you want.
● Since frameless glass doors are made of thick, high-quality panels, they are generally costlier than framed glass doors.
● Multiple design options – when it comes to framed shower doors, you have more control over the design and color. For instance, these shower enclosures are available in different colors, materials, and textures. You can choose according to your decor and ensure it blends seamlessly with the bathroom.
● Better stability – frameless shower doors might look sleek and modern, but they are riskier. In contrast, framed glass doors offer better stability due to a strong support frame. Moreover, since it is made from tempered glass, its risk of shattering reduces significantly.
● Cost-effective – these glass doors are also cheaper than frameless shower doors because it uses a thinner glass panel and the installation costs are 10 to 15% less.
● Let’s face it; the design is outdated. It doesn’t give the same sleek and modern look as shower doors – frameless. Moreover, they are difficult to maintain because of the multiple components that you can only purchase from the manufacturer.
● The door can only be open outward, thus, limiting motion and requiring more space.
Both shower doors – frameless and framed- have pros and cons, and the choice depends on you. For instance, if your bathroom has more space, you can choose a framed enclosure, but if you have limited space, you can install a frameless shower door and make the space look larger than it is. We hope you make the right decision.